Monday, August 2, 2010

Making Disciples

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20

This is a verse I have had memorized probably since the age of 7. I remember we would recite it every Wednesday evening at GA's. I can honestly say that I have "studied" this passage many times, whether in Sunday morning worship, bible study, or on a mission trip. I have heard it broken down into the steps of first you bring people to Christ, then they are baptized as a public sign of what has occurred in their hearts, and lastly you teach them about God's word. Ok, so I'll witness to people and if they accept Christ I'll point them in the direction of baptism. Then if they are interested I'll give them information for bible study classes that they can attend. I've done my job, right? WRONG! I know I've had the true meaning of discipleship explained to me in the past, but I don't think I've ever fully understood it until now. Making disciples involves building relationships and being a teacher. Teaching does not necessarily mean sitting in a classroom and holding a lecture, but it can be teaching by example and equipping others to go make new disciples. Being a teacher of God's word is not something that a select few are called to, but it is something that we all, as Christians are commanded to do.

I am so very thankful for the wonderful people in my life that truly understand the meaning of discipleship. Thank you for investing in my life by loving me and teaching me by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment