Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mac and Cheese!

For a little over a month now I have been really working at serving our family more healthy and wholesome meals. I have come to the realization that eating right is not just about counting calories, but it has more to do with the nutritional value of the food you put into your body. I have learned that it is important to make sure you are getting enough protein and whole grains as well as fruits, veggies, and dairy in your daily diet. I am trying to stay away from processed foods and high fructose corn syrup as much as possible. No worries though, when eating out or over at friend's houses it is not as big of a deal to me. I just want the food that I serve in my home to be as healthy as possible (while still amazingly yummy of course).

With that said I wanted to share what we had for lunch today. I don't believe that to be healthy you have to give up all of your favorite foods. For example, I made some brownies the other day using whole wheat flour, applesauce, and honey. They were yummy and definitely not lacking in flavor. Ok now back to lunch.... I love macaroni and cheese. I always have. I knew there had to be a better alternative to the boxed stuff so I searched online and found this quick and easy recipe. Stove-top Macaroni and Cheese I made a few modifications such as using organic whole grain elbow macaroni and I cut the sauce recipe in half (several of the reviews said it made too much using the whole recipe). I also used skim milk and light real butter. It was a success. Jonathan and Kadynce both loved it. It does have a little different taste and texture than what you may be used to, but it was still delicious and so much healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment