Monday, February 25, 2013

Dotmom

This past Friday Heather and I loaded up the car and headed to the dotMom conference. I almost canceled at last minute because Lydia had a low grade fever and this was my first time to leave her overnight, but Jonathan talked me into going. I am sooo glad that he did. I don't know about y'all, but there are times that I feel like I'm doing everything wrong as a mommy. Especially when it comes to my extremely strong-willed three year old. I went into this conference not wanting to know how to make her listen better or to be more obedient. I wanted to know how I could be a better mommy. The main speakers were Angie Smith, John Croyle, Vicki Courtney, and Priscilla Shirer. Let me just tell you, that Angie Smith may be small, but she sure does know how to stomp on some toes... and hard! Within a matter of minutes I knew that the next 24 hours were going to completely reshape me as a wife and mommy. My hope is to share some bits and pieces here and there about things that I learned at the conference over several different posts. I'm not making any promises though ;).

One of my favorite parts of the weekend was getting the opportunity to attend the breakout session on losing a child with Angie Smith. Many of you have heard me talk about her book "I Will Carry You" about her sweet baby girl Audrey Caroline. It was such a blessing to me while I was pregnant with Isaac and after he was born. It was so neat to get to talk to her a little one on one and to thank her for being obedient by sharing her story. It was also good to hear other's stories and connect with other mommies that have lost their babies. Angie is seriously one of the sweetest, most compassionate people I have ever met. It was so important to her that she got to hear about each of our babies. You could tell that she was truly heartbroken that each one of us had gone through the same pain that she had.


I don't think I've ever felt so refreshed and equipped to be the kind of mommy and wife that my children and husband deserve. I know that I'm not going to be perfect and that I'm not alone in that, but I now have some wonderful tools to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment