Thursday, April 4, 2013

Much Needed Break

During a stubborn attempt to prove a point to my husband this past weekend I had a huge revelation.  After one full day of staying off of Facebook (I know that amazing, right ;)) I realized that it is a very big source of stress in my life.  For the past seven and a half years I have been checking this website every chance I get to see what everyone else is doing or what their opinion is on the latest hot topic.  I realize that a lot of this stress stems from my own sins.  Sins that I have struggled with most of my life such as worrying about what people think of me and wanting to gain other's approval.  I tend to put so much pressure on myself to be the perfect wife, mommy, and friend.  I have come to the realization that Facebook seems to only escalate that for me.  I mean, heaven forbid I give my child some cheese its or  jarred baby food.  Feeling extreme guilt over things like that is just ridiculous!  Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly believe Facebook can be a wonderful thing.  I love looking at pictures that my friends and family post.  I think it's a wonderful way to stay in touch with people that you might not talk to very often.  What I noticed though is that I felt like I HAD TO check Facebook often.  Like that was part of my job or something.  Guess what people, you don't get sucked into the ground if you don't know what all of your "friends" are doing at all times.  I'm not going to completely cut myself off.  Sometimes after being at home with two little ones all day it's a good window to the outside world.  I am just really limiting my use and being more intentional about when I do use it.  I logged on for a few minutes last night and within seconds began to feel the stress of information overload.

All of this is really to say a few things.  Facebook is probably not the best way to contact me anymore.   Email or text will be better.  Also, I'm not going to be posting my blog updates on Facebook for a while so if you would like to know when I update you can follow by email.  Just put your email address in the box on the left of this page.

The last thing I want to do is to make anyone feel guilty about the time you spend on Facebook or any form of social media.  This is just a change I have had to make for mine and my family's own benefit.        

No comments:

Post a Comment