Sunday, November 18, 2012

Lydia Faith

5:30 am on August 16, 2012 after a night of tossing and turning with what I thought was heartburn, my water broke. It took a minute for what had just happened to sink in. After months of waiting. After a PICC line and 5 weeks of bed rest was it really time to meet the baby we had prayed so hard for? We'll never know for sure, but I believe that it was the combo of our friend Diana's delicious enchiladas and the pedicure my friend Valerie took me for that sent me into labor. Whatever it was, it was time and I was scared. Don't get me wrong I was incredibly excited, but I was so nervous and scared too. I wasn't worried about the actual labor and delivery. I was worried about Lydia. Did they miss anything on the sonogram? Will she be born healthy? I couldn't bear the thought of leaving that hospital without a baby again. We got to the hospital around 6:30. Several of the nurses made comments about how busy they were. They put me in triage and checked me. I was "only" 4 centimeters so they told me it might be a little while before they were able to get me into a room. Around 11:00 they finally got me into a room.

At this point I wasn't really in too much pain, but had told the nurse I was ready for my epidural whenever they could do it knowing that it sometimes takes a while for the anesthesiologist to get to the room. Just a little background info for those who care. I did not have an epidural with Kadynce, but did with Isaac for obvious reasons. I decided that since it had worked great with no complications during my labor with Isaac I would have one again. I won't go into detail to avoid scaring those that might want to have one some day, but let's just say that anymore babies that The Lord may bless us with will be born naturally. The epidural madness was over by noon and the most amazing nurse in the world world, Allison showed up to take care of me and help deliver Lydia. She took care of me when Isaac was born and then again when I went into preterm labor. She doesn't work on Thursdays, but they called her and she came in for me. Around 1:00 I was complete and Lydia Faith made her appearance at 1:15. I could not believe it when I saw her beautiful HEADFULL of DARK hair. She was a chunky monkey weighing in at 8 lbs 1 oz and 20.5 inches long. The most precious thing in the world. I was so happy and relieved that our sweet rainbow baby was finally here. I think I looked over every inch of her 100 times. I also asked the nurses and doctors over and over if she was ok and healthy. They assured me each time that she was. I think a little paranoia is normal after losing a baby the way we had. One of the most special moments was when my dad brought Kadynce in and she got to meet her baby sister for the first time. I'm pretty sure it was love at first sight. Just like she was with Isaac she didn't want anyone else to hold "her" baby. Both nights i was blessed with the sweetest nurse that continually stressed the importance of me getting rest and did whatever she could to make that happen. We were also blessed with lots of visitors that wanted to love on our new baby. We were able to come home on Saturday and everyone knows that's when the fun begins. I think the first two weeks after you have a baby is always hard. You're sore and tired. You and baby are both trying to figure each other out. You may have unexpected doctor's visits. The whole family is just trying to adjust to their new normal. All of this on top of very little sleep can make for some rough moments, but some of the most precious memories are made in those first few weeks and that seems to make up for the craziness of it all. From day one Lydia has been a very laid-back, easy going baby. We actually had to wake her up for the first 2 weeks to eat because she would just sleep and sleep and never fuss.

Lydia is now 3 months old and is the most amazing little blessing. She is developing her own little personality and I just LOVE it. She smiles just about anytime someone talks to her. She likes to try to talk back and if you stick your tongue out she'll copy you. She eats at about the same times every day. I didn't force this schedule on her she just kinda did it on her own. She usually eats around 8:00, 11:30, 2:30, 5:00, 8:00, and 10:30. Whether or not she wakes up to eat at night is hit or miss. We discovered that she's pretty cold natured so adding a layer to her clothes has helped her sleep longer. She sleeps in her "monkey seat" (rock and play sleeper) right beside me. She naps about 4 times a day, but it really varies depending on what we're doing because she loves to sleep in the car. We are so looking forward to the holidays with 2 sweet little girls.


  1. Congrats on your precious rainbow & being a momma to your 3 sweet children!!! <3 Beautiful pictures!

  2. Congratulations! Lydia is a beautiful rainbow baby!!

  3. Kacie, I've been thinking about you happy to hear an update and that you are all doing well. Ms. Lydia is a gorgeous little thing! What a joy! And I bet Kadynce is a very doting and adoring big sister. :) Much love to you, your family, and ALL your babies. Allison(RN).